Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Jack Frost CHOMPING at our nose...

I discovered something outside of my window this morning. 11 inches of fresh snow from last night. 11 flippin inches! How the heck am I supposed to get to school with that much snow?! That's almost a fifth of my height. You can be sure I sank right in when I took my first step. And to make it worse, all the buses in Lyon are shut down. That means I had to wake up extra early this morning for my 8:00am class and walk to the metro (about 7 min walk) and then fight for a spot with the million other Lyon residents who had to get to work in the snow. By the way, I was STILL 20 minutes late because all the public transportation were affected, not just the buses. Man, there are those people who love the snow and are made for it, and then there are us Californians. Constant temperature pretty much year round with a chance of snow happening maybe once every decade. How I miss you, beautiful non-temperamental weather state of California. 1-0 California vs Lyon.

I just hope the snow stops soon considering finals are coming up and then my trip to Italy. It would be a darn shame if I couldn't get to the airport because of the snow. I'm quite sure I would throw a hissy fit. However, from the comforts of my warm toasty room, I do enjoy looking at the snow fall. Its mesmerizing. Its hard to imagine the world in white until you really see it happening. The sky looks like a grayish shade of milk almost. The ground however is a pure white color. Probably the most pure white you will ever see.

Anywho, this friday is supposed to be -10 degrees celcius. 10 degrees below freezing. I was planning on freezing my extra chicken meat outside but then I discovered it needs to be -14 degrees celcius for it to be safe. What a shame.  I suppose I would have lost the meat if I put it outside anyways. It would just be covered in a new layer of snow by the next day and I would be meatless. Other than complaints about the cold, I am quite happy. 23 days till I touch down in American soil. Never thought I would be so happy to go back, even if it is temporary. Believe me when I say America does not suck AT ALL. Sure we have problems and a lot of countries like to criticize us for it, but these countries (including France) have millions of problems of their own. I'm really glad I came to France for the experience of a new land, new culture, and new people, but when it all comes down to it, I am a true red white and blue (then again, this would apply to the French flag as well but I think you all know that I am referring to America). I can tell ya'll what I think of Europe when I get back. Being here for more than just a vacation and actually living here has completely changed my mentality of what Europe is.

On an end note, enjoy these pictures of the snow (there is so much snow in Lyon that I was even able to capture a picture of people cross country skiing near the river...madness):




 

No comments:

Post a Comment