Saturday, November 13, 2010

Morbid Tranquility

It's one of those days where you do things just to pass the time. I woke up because I wanted to, not because I had to. I feel like, lately, I have been on autopilot. I do what I need to do to get through the day and just wait for the next one to come. I even spent the past two and a half days watching a Korean drama, in part, because I had nothing else to do. My friends were travelling to different cities in France for the day and I was stuck in Lyon. Despite the fact that I had no company, I still decided that it was about time to get my butt out of the house and do something a little more productive.

For the first time in about a month and a half, the sky was completely clear and the sun was out. Though I slept through a good part of the morning and spent the early afternoon surfing the internet, there was still enough time to take a long walk and enjoy the beautiful cool weather. I had a lot on my mind and thought it would be a good stress reliever anyways. With no direction in mind, I made random turns and passed through unknown streets until I was in front of the cemetery. I stepped in, and automatically felt a sense of calmness. I know it sounds a little odd, especially since cemeteries are often associated with death and sorrow, but this cemetery honestly gave me some peace of mind. It was quite enchanting to the soul, romantic even. I spent a good hour or so just weaving in and out of the different plots and captured pictures of things that caught my eyes. Some things were sad, others were happy.




I'm not really sure why, but a majority of the tombstones were covered in flowers. It may have been for "Armistice" day in France. The flowers really enhanced the beauty of the cemetery though. I could have walked through that cemetery for much longer if the sun wasn't starting to set. Some of the tombstones were quite beautiful as well. Many, often were for families instead of individuals. 



Aside from the cemetery, I also had the pleasure of seeing mother nature at her most beautiful season (or at least in my opinion.) It's odd, but I love nature the most when everything is about to die. The trees change colors and look so majestic. It's like they know that it is almost time to shed their beautiful leaves, and so they do it with a bang. Lyon doesn't have very many trees in the city center, but if you venture out further towards where I live, you can see colors combinations that not even the best artists can capture perfectly.




I suppose I enjoy France after all. But only select qualities. There are things that bother me, and thus, make it impossible for me to ever consider living here permanently, but since it is only for 8 more months, I will enjoy what there is to my maximum capacity. No matter what though, I am still reppin California, and more specifically, the Bay area. I miss you guys back home.


2 comments:

  1. we all miss you back home, too!

    also, i love the part about you liking mother nature the most when everything is about to die. so poetic of you :)

    it looks beautiful there! and yes, cemeteries are such interesting places if you really think about them. i can't wait to study abroaddd

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. girl, lemme tell you, i want to come home sooo bad.

    ReplyDelete